Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Important Stuff





What to share, there is so much…too much, so I suppose small, yet profound is the best way to do it...

Not too long ago I heard, for the first time, my husband tell his story about an occasion when he was so excited to tell his youth pastor something that impacted him.  A short story really, but deeply significant...


He tells it a little something like this: 

He walks into his youth pastor's office and braces him by saying "Mr. Taylor, what I am about to say to you will change your life forever!!"

Excited, Mr Taylor replied "Great!  Tell me, what is it??"  Now...brace YOUR self...my husband said these two little words to him:

"GOD EXISTS.”

Mr. Taylor didn't find it as profound as my husband did, replying "Yes, Jimmy.  I know.  God exists."

My husband describes himself ERUPTING with excitement in response, saying "NOOOOOO!!!  Don't you see!!??  If GOD EXISTS, then NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!"

How about you?  Have you found yourself reading this, echoing what the youth pastor said at first?  "Yes, of course God Exists.  Everyone knows that..."  (Well, not everyone...)  

Anyway, that is huge, people!!  HUGE, I tell you!  It is the very basis for...well, EVERYTHING!!  


Observe:

John 1:1-3  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was in the beginning with God.  All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. 

Gen 1:1  In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. 

Col 1:16-17  For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
 

Conclusion?  God exists.  God created all things.  We exist because He created us, and we exist for Him.

So, suppose it is "hungry time", as my middle girl Gracie puts it, and you are home alone.  You go into the kitchen and prepare a meal.  You sit down to eat the meal you made for yourself.  Suppose the chicken leg on your plate stands up, and gives you a serious tongue lashing as to why it will not be used for the purpose you intended it for.  The chicken leg walks off your plate and out of your house to pursue its dream of...oh, whatever chicken legs dream about....

So besides the fact that chicken legs don't have tongues to lash with, or an ability to walk and talk, (for which, I am truly thankful) let's consider the fact that you did prepare the chicken leg for a purpose.  Further more, you made it for YOU.   Of course, the illustration breaks down on many levels, but the point is this:  If God is GOD, then why can't He make things for Himself and UNTO Himself?  After all, He IS God.

Apart from Him, neither you nor I would even exist, let alone have the wherewithal to make decisions to flee His presence or bidding.  It just makes sense.  He didn't make this world for man to gobble up and consume.  He made it, and all within it, to the PRAISE and glory of Him!  He made it so that we would know Him!

I‘m not sure where you are with this concept; but I am okay with it.  Last time I checked, I found that I had no power to create myself.  I am only here because He designed it to be so.  I cannot even hold myself together, let alone an entire universe.  I cannot make the sun shine, nor can I make it rain.  I cannot cause things to grow.  I cannot cause my own heart to beat, nor can I change the hearts of men.  He made it all and sustains it all; therefore, HE gets to make the rules.  I think that is reasonable, don't you??

So, let's review...

GOD EXISTS.

And,
If GOD EXISTS, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.



Written that the name of Jesus would be praised,
Christy

photo credit to bigfoto.com


No comments:

Post a Comment