Wednesday, May 22, 2013

PART 2 of Everyone has a little (or a lot) of Veruca Salt in them



SURPRISE!!

So, yeah-I wasn't fully done with the thought from before...  In an effort to keep to short and sweet, I sort of left out the "sweet" part.  I hate to leave you without THE key to putting to death desires that would lead us to throwing a fit over not getting what we want.  (I'm talking to myself, too folks!) 

So let's pick up from where we left off...

I was just showing you that like the nasty Veruca Salt, we all have that bad streak in us.  (we are sinners)  I suggested that you try to see your self centered point of view as "God views it".

While it IS selfish to go around wanting what you want and to throw tantrums when you don't get what you want, that is not what is ultimately the cause of "me" focused living.

The heart that pursues "me" living is one that does not seek God, and is not content with Him.

Now, I don't want you to go away thinking "I have to be content with God" and pursue doing that instead.  The end could be equally as bad, but just "look" better from the outside.  (a.k.a. legalism-observing to do the law to earn favor with God)

Rom 3:20  For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.

The result of trying to do all that God commands will simply reveal that apart from His grace, you can't do it.

So why/how should anyone find contentment in God?

Now, let's take a quick tangent and discus needs versus wants.  Things that I need are things I must have in order to live.  Things I want are things that if I don't have them I won't die.  Examples:  Air=Need, T.V.=Want, Water=Need, Flying first class=Want...and so on.

God describes our life as a vapor, and in all honesty, He doesn't place as much importance on the human, fleshly existence as He does the Spiritual existence.  In fact, from God's perspective, the only thing that we truly "need" is found in the saving work of Jesus Christ in the cross.  That said, God has already taken care of the greatest (only true) need we will ever have.

So, I have to "overhaul" my perspective when times arise that I don't get what I want.  I have to re-think my wants, and consider the WONDER that God has already given me all I will ever need in Christ!  "My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

Apart from Jesus, we are the ENEMIES of God.  Sorry, but in any language, that is NOT GOOD.  The wrath of God lives (abides) on our heads, except the fact that Jesus came as a spotless lamb to shed His own blood and restore our friendship with God!

Now let's stop and think for a moment...do you think it is either A. A want, or B. A Need to be counted a friend of the creator of the Universe, A.K.A. "God"?  You know, the Sole Owner of eternity and the provider of the very air and energy it takes for you to breathe in and out??

Definitely a need in my estimation!  Let's look at some scriptures to get us excited about what God has given to us in Christ!

Romans 5:6-11
6  For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.
7  For one will scarcely die for a righteous person--though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die--
8  but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
9  Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.
10  For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.
11  More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

So, when we are a bad egg as we see in Veruca Salt, or as bad as OURSELVES-verse 7 puts it-"ungodly" and sinful people in need of a Savior, Jesus came and lived a perfect life and died a perfect death to reconcile us to God!  The one that trusts what Jesus did is JUSTIFIED and SAVED from the WRATH of God!  In this, we have all we need to be content.  When those times come when we are angry or upset and want to pursue what we want, we can look at Jesus and know that no matter what, we have all we will ever need.  If we can really grasp the magnitude of this fact, then we can lay aside all the silly earthly wants that drive us and instead be driven by the cross of Christ!

This is something you can get excited about!

So, take me, for example.  I can get pretty nasty when I don't get what I want.  Shocking I know, but it shouldn't be.  I fall too.  I have to stop myself and think about what I am going so after so hard, and does it really matter?  To be right?  To get people to agree with me?  To_____?  You fill in the blank for you. 

If my thoughts are right, then here is how I respond in my mind:  "I cannot change people.  Only God does that.  I am not always right.  God IS, however, always right.  Look how he showed His love for me in His Son.  Even though it doesn't seem like I am going to end up getting things the way I want them; I know things will be what HE sees as best for me.  I praise Him for knowing what is best and I accept what He gives."  That is how I battle myself, and that is how God wins.

Phillipians 4:8-9
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.



Ultimately, if we believe and meditate on what the bible says, if we trust in what Christ has done to save us, then we already have what we need to be content in God.  So, in those moments of tantrum, remember the cross of Christ and remind yourself that you have ALL you need if THE ONLY THING YOU EVER HAVE is Jesus. 00

Submitted that the name of Jesus be praised,

Christy

2 comments:

  1. The Gospel ifs our life breath and frees us from the power of sin. Very well explained and illustrated, Christy. I'm sure this will bless many who read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent examples :) As I reflect on my day and see Veruca Salt all over it, this indeed drives me to the cross yet the more!

    ReplyDelete